Thursday, April 8, 2010

Diana Gabaldon "Outlander"

I loved this book. People say they love things very easily these days but I really did dig this. Outlander is a fantastic, historical, romantic, time-travelling romp. It is a very lengthly romp; but in the end you can't believe it is over. Of course the story is not over. It continues in Dragonfly in Amber and I can't wait to read that one.

Who hasn't been captivated at some stage in their youth by the idea of travelling back in time? It is very easy for me to understand why Gabaldon has such an ardent following. You get swept away by these characters. And I am normally so cynical with romantic fiction. But she totally drew me in with plucky Clare and the strong but embattled Jamie. The host of supporting characters truly come alive as well.

In truth I did not read this book, but listened to the entire unabridged version as an audible book. I listened as I drove long distances in my car, I listened as I ironed and I listened as I briskly walked for exercise.

I know that unlike many of the dozens of books I have read in recent years, these characters will remain with me for many years to come. For some reason this book, that could have been so cliched, really sings. I would guess that Outlander will possibly appeal more to female readers; it certainly appealled to me. For sheer fun escapism, I thoroughly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome.